Friday, February 13, 2009

Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash and Greens over Bow-Tie Pasta, p. 169, The Wahl Version...



We had guests over the last weekend (from Wednesday to Tuesday, actually). Kathy's friend and colleague, Susan from Florida and my sister, Carolyn, from Illinois. Carolyn is a big squash fan, so I thought the squash pasta dish would be perfect for Monday after Susan had left (not a squash fan). On Mondays, I teach until 7:30 PM and Kathy gets home pretty late usually. Carolyn went to Mt. Vernon for the day, but stopped to buy all the groceries for the dish on the way home. She found everything on the ingredient list. She and Kathy prepped the whole dish and had it in the oven when I got home at 8. 

We agree with almost everything Jody said and should have taken her advice. We used escarole, and would use a lot more next time. I still have some living sage, so we used that, but could have had more. We also bought the basil and used that. We think we could have used less oil, but, as Jody said, the vegetables did not stick while they were roasting. Our vegetables looked virtually the same as Jody's in the picture below. We added the cheese to the dish and ate it with some good multigrain bread. Yum! Kathy even liked it, and she was skeptical. 

I put the leftovers in a baking dish (the little directions at the top of the recipe basically say you can do this). I added a little milk and left the cover on and baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. It turned out really good--sort of liked any other baked pasta dish--a little crusty on the outside and steamy. The cheese was melty and yummy. We really liked it that way. I would definitely make the whole dish again, with the cheese and separate it into 6 portions--eat two fresh, and save (freeze or fridge) the other four in two baking dishes for baking later. Oh, I forgot. I had a slight disaster as I was putting the leftovers away the first night--I had the baking dish in the fridge and when I opened it, the dish fell out and about 1 portion of the pasta fell on the floor. I am sure you are all surprised that something fell out of my fridge and spilled. So, we could easily get six portions. In fact, we may use even more squash next time. As Jody says, we like more "stuff to pasta" ratio.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray, a new blog posting! Thanks for the info about baking the leftovers.
    I bought some carrots to make with my leftover sage, so I hope to have something to post soon.

    ReplyDelete