Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Almond Chutney Chicken in Lettuce Roll-Ups, p. 113


Me again. With no picture again. Okay, here's a picture of a chicken, since I don't have one of the dish. Anyhow.
I made these for our family Oscar party. They weren't quite what I expected - the lettuce wraps I've had at restaurants (or bought at Trader Joe's) have hot cooked ground chicken, with some kind of sauce and crispies. These are more like a chicken salad, that you roll up with veggies and herbs. But they were really good. The braver Sorensens really enjoyed them. They were a bit messy to eat, though. I had torn the lettuce leaves in half, maybe I wouldn't do that next time.
Some alterations: I didn't buy radishes as an accompaniment, and I had cilantro but not basil. I think that was fine - they still had a really nice fresh bright taste. Also I use 2 lemons instead of the 3 suggested, and it tasted very lemony. (There was more than enough acid, as they say on Top Chef). I learned that "Major Grey's Chutney" seems to be a type of chutney, not a brand.
I'll definitely make these again as a party hors d'oeuvre/appetizer.
p.s. Elyn - post the stuff you've made!!

1 comment:

  1. I almost thought this was the wrong blog! But, I LOVE the chicken picture.

    ReplyDelete