We are the first in with a post to meet the challenge! I finished working today at about 7 and thought, "I wonder if there is a quick, easy meal in the 'How To Eat Supper" cookbook?" I flipped open the book right to the warm bean salad. I always keep a bunch of beans on hand and had a bag of baby greens and fresh rosemary growing outside. The other ingredients are staples. Easy as pie. I went downstairs to my pantry and found that I only had one can of cannellini beans, so I chose a can of butter beans for the second can (Kathy loves butter beans). I prepped all the ingredients in bowls (mise en place). I used my little Cuisinart for all the chopping. I didn't bother with the crushing of the garlic with salt--just added the salt to the garlic in the Cuisinart. Then I got cooking. The bread crumbs toasted in the pan nicely. The garlic and rosemary smelled great in the olive oil (I used about half the oil). The beans heated easily and I tossed in two big handfuls of greens (I think Lynne skimps on the greens in all these dishes). I plated the whole thing in just two bowls--we eat a lot of beans--and topped with the crumb mixture. You can see what it looked like at the end. I loved the flavor and would definitely make it again. Kathy thought it was dry and could use a sauce. I could have used the whole amount of oil, but I don't think that would have been what she wanted, either. I loved that it was quick, easy, and flavorful.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Warm White Bean Salad with Fragrant Garlic and Rosemary, p. 116
We are the first in with a post to meet the challenge! I finished working today at about 7 and thought, "I wonder if there is a quick, easy meal in the 'How To Eat Supper" cookbook?" I flipped open the book right to the warm bean salad. I always keep a bunch of beans on hand and had a bag of baby greens and fresh rosemary growing outside. The other ingredients are staples. Easy as pie. I went downstairs to my pantry and found that I only had one can of cannellini beans, so I chose a can of butter beans for the second can (Kathy loves butter beans). I prepped all the ingredients in bowls (mise en place). I used my little Cuisinart for all the chopping. I didn't bother with the crushing of the garlic with salt--just added the salt to the garlic in the Cuisinart. Then I got cooking. The bread crumbs toasted in the pan nicely. The garlic and rosemary smelled great in the olive oil (I used about half the oil). The beans heated easily and I tossed in two big handfuls of greens (I think Lynne skimps on the greens in all these dishes). I plated the whole thing in just two bowls--we eat a lot of beans--and topped with the crumb mixture. You can see what it looked like at the end. I loved the flavor and would definitely make it again. Kathy thought it was dry and could use a sauce. I could have used the whole amount of oil, but I don't think that would have been what she wanted, either. I loved that it was quick, easy, and flavorful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment