Monday, August 3, 2009

Jerry Traunfeld's Tarragon Chicken Breasts with Buttery Leeks, p. 200


First of all, we suck. No posts at all in July. 2 posts, both by me, in June. Let's go for two postings each in August. Go team! Sis Boom Bah!
I made this for myself for dinner Saturday. I had fresh tarragon, so it seemed like a good one to try. It might look a bit bland, but it didn't taste that way.
I bought organic, free range, hand bathed, champagne fed chicken breasts from Trader Joe's. Okay, some of that was made up. But I have decided that I want my chicken to taste like chicken, and I cook meat so rarely that I can splurge on the organic when I do.
The recipe, no surprise, went more quickly than I expected. Perhaps someday I'll get used to that with this cookbook. You "melt" the leeks in butter and broth for a while, then put the chicken right on top of them and cover. Then you remove the chicken and finish the leeks with lemon, tarragon, and a little bit more butter, then pour that over the chicken.
It had a nice, fresh taste, and there were enough leeks that you could put some on your bread - toasted TJ's english muffin in this case - I highly recommend them. A side salad would be nice as well. I'd make this again, and I think it might be a good technique for cooking fish as well. You should try that, E.

No comments:

Post a Comment