Kathy and I had some green beans to use up last night for dinner. We also had some preserved lemon left from the chicken recipe a while ago (it is preserved, so like a pickle, almost). So, we made this dish--a perfect fit for our ingredients. The original recipe on p. 270 is green beans with gremolata. We followed the variation very closely. I was suspicious of the length of cooking time--15 to 20 minutes, but the beans did turn out really tender and melty--not crisp like I usually like them. My mom would be proud of them! I did not add salt to the beans as they cooked since the preserved lemon and the olives are both salty. Turned out just right.
We served these as a side dish along with something I made up--sauteed turkey cutlets with a wine, mustard and dried cherry sauce. Kathy liked it better than I did, but it was fine. I also served baby "confetti" potatoes--small potatoes--including the purple ones (I just love purple potatoes, just for the fun of it!).
We also had a good dry white wine with dinner--Floria, a French varietal from Gascony. It was in a box of "12 wines under $12" that I bought at a wine bar/restaurant in Virginia. We are going to look for it again--at least the same region of France.
Hooray a new post!
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit confused as to the verdict. Would you make these again? Would you try to cook them less? You say "just right" but also "not crisp like I like them". I myself hate mushy green beans.
I would make these again. I liked the mushy green beans in this case because of the velvety texture with the powerful flavor of the olives and lemon.
ReplyDelete